Monday, May 29, 2017

EMT: A Tale of Love and Disaster

EMT: A Tale of Love and Disaster
Copyright 2017 by Etienne


Chapter 6


THAT EVENING AT dinner, much of the conversation revolved around Sheldon’s vacation. He’d been to an island resort somewhere in the Caribbean, and several of the guys wanted details—details Sheldon was all too pleased to provide. Apparently, he’d spent much of his time on or in the water, and his tan showed it.
“I’ll bet there were a lot of good-looking women there,” Harry said.
“It was an all male resort,” Sheldon said, “and I saw everything there was to see about most of the guests.”
“What does that mean?” Monty said.
“Didn’t I mention that the resort was clothing optional?” Sheldon said.
“No, you didn’t,” Monty said, “but that explains the all-over tan.”
“Yeah,” Sheldon said. “Letting it all hang out was great. I wish there was a clothing optional beach around here.”
“The closest one I know of is in Miami,” Brody said.
“You’re referring to Haulover Beach, aren’t you?” Sheldon said.
“Yeah.”
“Ever been there?” Sheldon said.
“One of my buddies and I drove down there last summer for a long weekend.”
“How was it?” Sheldon said.
“It was an interesting experience,” Brody said.
“I’ll bet a young guy with a fit body like yours got lots of attention,” Sheldon said.
“Like I said—it was interesting.”
“Did you do sports in school?” Sheldon said.
“I was on the swim team in high school and college.”
“Is that all?”
“I was also a wrestler.”
“I’ve been to a couple of college wrestling matches,” Ron said. “Most of the guys threw boners when they were grappling each other on the mats.”
“It happens,” Brody said. “When you’re wrapped around another warm body and rubbing against it, your body reacts automatically—there isn’t anything you can do about it.”
“I’ve heard that some wrestling teams have circle jerks before they go to a match,” Harry said. “It’s supposed to control the hard-ons later.”
“I think that comes under the heading of urban legends,” Brody said. “At least I never saw or heard of anything like that happening.” Although, it would have been fun, he thought.


BRODY’S SHIFT ENDED and he drove straight home. His mother was in the kitchen when he unlocked the back door.
“Hi, Mom,” he said.
“Hi. Did you have a good time at the lake?”
“Yeah. In fact, Pop asked me to come live with him.”
“Are you going to take him up on it?”
“You bet I am. You know how much I enjoy being on the water.”
“I’m glad. He’s been awfully lonely since your grandmother died. I think it’ll be good for both of you.”
“He and I have always enjoyed each other’s company. Did you know he’s moved into one of the downstairs bedrooms and turned the other one into a den?”
“No, I didn’t. Why did he do that?”
“He said he was getting tired of climbing stairs, and later he mentioned something about there being too many memories upstairs.”
“I can certainly understand that. Can I fix you lunch?”
“Sure. I’m gonna run a couple of errands, then I have to get the truck serviced. Just tell me when to be back.”
Brody took care of his errands and his truck, then spent the rest of the morning cleaning out his room and packing things. He’d just finished when his mother called him to lunch.
Brody sat down at the breakfast table and looked at the food in front of him. “You kind of went overboard, didn’t you, Mom?”
“That fact that my youngest child is moving out is kind of a milestone, isn’t it?”
“I guess you could say that. Whatever the reason, I appreciate it.”
“You know how much I enjoy cooking.”
“Yeah. You taught me a lot, and it’s going to come in handy at the station.”
“How so?” his mother said.
“Because we take our meals together, and there are always two guys assigned kitchen duty.”
“Assigned?”
“Sorry, I misspoke. We sign up for KP duty, and everyone is expected to do his share.”
“You really like your new job, don’t you?”
“Yes, Ma’am. Did Mary Ann call you after she talked to me?”
“No. Why do you ask?”
“She demanded that I quit my job, and I told her what to do with her demands. I sort of figured she would appeal to a higher court.”
That caused his mother to chuckle. “She knows I don’t have that kind of influence over you, Brody. And even if I did, I would never attempt to interfere with your life in that way.”
“Yeah. I realize that. And I appreciate it.”
“You’re a grown man, Brody—your life choices and career decisions are yours to make. On the other hand, if I’d thought for one minute that you were making a mistake, I’d have said so.”
Brody finished his lunch, thanked his mother, and went to his room to begin the process of carrying boxes to his truck. When the truck was loaded, he hugged his mother, thanked her again, and headed across town. His parents lived in a gated community on the far west edge of the city, and it was a good thirty-mile drive from there to the lake.
At his grandfather’s house, he backed up as close as he could to the door and climbed out of the truck. The door opened as he walked up onto the stoop.
“Hi, Pop,” Brody said. “Were you watching for me?”
“Not exactly. Your mother called to let me know you were on the way. Come inside and have a look at the upstairs. I finally finished cleaning out my junk.”
Brody followed his grandfather inside the house and to the upstairs, which were now his quarters.
“Wow. You’ve pretty much emptied your old den out.”
“Yep. That room has been accumulating junk for years, and it was past time that I got rid of all of it.”
“I think there’s even room for my desk in one corner.”
“More than, I should think,” his grandfather said.
“That’s good, because I’ll be starting grad school part-time, come September.”
“Let’s go get your stuff.”
With that, the two men made short work of emptying Brody’s truck; after which, his grandfather left him to stow things were he wanted them. Brody spent a couple of hours arranging his room to his satisfaction, then pulled on his Speedos and went in search of his grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment