Thursday, January 12, 2017

Movie Review: Frequency

I don't usually plow through the $5 movie bins at Walmart, but my partner has gotten me in the habit of at least skimming the surface, and I spotted this $3.74 title staring Dennis Quaid.  I thought, why not, and bought it.

Dennis Quaid plays a firefighter in 1969.  It is established that the World Series of that year is underway, and the Quaid character loves baseball.  He's also a Ham radio operator   The movie establishes the fact that due to solar sunspot activity, northern lights can be seen over Queens that year.

Flash forward 30 years to 1999, and Quaid's son, played by Jim Caviezel, now age 36, is a NYPD detective.  He discovers his father's old Ham radio set in a trunk and plugs it in.  There is unusual solar activity and northern lights happenings going on in 1999 as well.  t is also established that Dennis Quaid's character had died in an abandoned warehouse fire in 1969, by the way.

The son, playing with the Ham radio, picks up a broadcast.  It's his father, talking to him from 1969.
He convinces his father that he's real by revealing what will happen in the 1969 World Series, which is underway back in the father's time.  He also persuades his father not go to into that warehouse.

From there, the story really gets interesting, and I won't spoil it with any further spoilers.

All I can say is that DVD was $3.74 well spent, and I recommend the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186151/




No comments:

Post a Comment