Friday, April 22, 2016

Live From the Met in HD - Roberto Devereux

In Donizetti's powerfully dramatic opera, the 2nd Earl of Essex, favorite of Queen Elizabeth I, has fallen upon evil days and, more or less following history, is executed for treason.

The role of Elizabeth I was brilliantly sung by Soprano Sondra Radvanovsky,  the title role was sung  by Tenor Matthew Polenzani, and his sometime friend the Earl of Nottingham was sung by Baritone Mariusz Kwiecien.

Interestingly, the two men performed principal roles earlier this season in Bizet's  The Pearlfishers.

There are no memorable arias in this opera but it is filled with drama and some difficult singing, expertly executed.


The story takes place near the end of Elizabeth I's life and was brilliantly sung by Radvanovsky.  Yes, I know, I said that above, but it bears repeating.




No comments:

Post a Comment