Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Glowing Review for Bobby and Clyde

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1181870622

Bobby and Clyde takes place in the 1960s but their story begins way back when they were boys. From best friends, the two young men soon became lovers and then they got separated. The circumstances of the separation was a traumatic one and as Bobby got older, he was always looking back into the past and never wanting to let go. One Thanksgiving trip to his parent's home reveals that Clyde had not disappeared at all. He was definitely around and had left messages in their secret place. It was obvious that Clyde did not want to be found. That knowledge triggers Bobby to actively look for his friend and true love. What he discovers is not a fairy tale. Instead, the mere discovery could send both him and Clyde right into the arms of danger. Now all Bobby has to do is find Clyde and then hide him.

For those of you who read my reviews and such, you know how I love this author, Etienne, and maybe shrug off my rating. However, I have to say that Bobby and Clyde is different. This takes place at a time before HIV or AIDS; a time before marriage equality was even in the thoughts of the unborn; it is set in a time when those who loved the same gender were not mentioned, not thought of, and definitely not the inspiration of books.

I have read every work of this author and admittedly, my favorite are characters are George and Mike of the Avondale Series. I have other favorites but not as much as I love those two. It was only after I finished reading this did I realize that the style of this particular writing is the same style that made me fall in love with George and Mike several years ago. Bobby and Clyde are two men who fought hard to be together without going all sappy about it. They are men, they act like men, they talk like men (at least those I am very familiar with), but they love each other.

There is a sense of realness with their relationship as well. My first reaction was they were too 'manly' with the way they approached their relationship and actually sent a comment to that effect to the author. Belatedly, I realized that that was the whole point. They are men and they act like it. Period. No fluff. No fairy tale. Just life.

Much as I love Charles Barnett and Philip d’Autremont of the Appearances Trilogy, they have to take a back seat to Bobby and Clyde. If there are more books to follow of their lives in their future, it may be difficult to choose between them and George and Mike. Now, that is saying a lot from me.

For those of you who loved Avondale, think of the first books then look at this one. You won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. One of his best - hope there will be more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be surprised, but not for quite a while - there are too many projects already on the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete